Following drastic weight loss, individuals are often left with excessively loose hanging skin in various areas of the body. Loose skin surgery is often pursued by these patients in order to address their specific concerns. A common complaint among individuals following significant weight loss, or even natural aging, is that their upper arms sag, or have loose skin, that makes them feel uncomfortable when in sleeveless tops, dresses and swim wear. The following article will explore arm surgery after weight loss, a procedure known as brachioplasty. It will highlight the benefits of pursuing loose arm skin removal, provide information on who is an ideal candidate for this procedure, and detail how to determine the best excess skin removal surgeon for you.
The Significance of Arm Lift Surgery
While age and genetics can also contribute to the appearance of excess skin on the arms, weight loss often exacerbates the issue. An arm lift after weight loss surgery or significant natural weight loss, is a commonly sought after procedure. A plastic surgery arm lift can reduce excess skin of the arms, and provide a tighter, more toned appearance to your upper body.
Reasons for Arm Lift Surgery
Patients often pursue arm skin removal after weight loss for a number of reasons including:
- Remove excess fat from arms
- Tighten sagging skin on arms
- Remove extra skin from arms
- Reshape arm contours
- Gain confidence wearing short sleeved or sleeveless tops
- Increase their self-esteem and happiness
Thousands of patients undergo this procedure every year to acquire the smooth, toned arms they’ve always wanted, and gain the confidence they deserve.
Eligibility for Arm Lift Surgery
Ideal candidates for arm cosmetic surgery are healthy men and women who have realistic expectations of surgical outcomes. You may be a good candidate for a brachioplasty procedure if you:
- Have loose, sagging excess skin on the upper arms
- Have excess fat on your upper arms that cannot be toned or eliminated with exercise
- Are in good physical and mental health
- Have reached and are maintaining a stable weight
Arm Lift Procedure: What to Expect
A plastic surgery arm lift (brachioplasty) is a procedure that reshapes and tightens the upper arm from the elbow to the armpit. The excess skin and fat deposits are removed and the tissue is tightened, leading to a smaller and shapelier arm appearance. A liposuction procedure may also be completed in order to remove excess fatty tissue and provide additional skin tightening.
Recovery and Aftercare
Dr. Barr’s extensive experience in performing arm slimming procedures helps to ensure that his patient’s post-operative recovery is minimized and their arm lift after care goes smoothly . You will be instructed on what to wear after arm lift surgery and be provided with compression garments to minimize any swelling. You can do normal light activities following your procedure but refrain from participating in heavy physical activity for the first two weeks following your arm lift procedure. Most patients begin light activity two weeks following their armpit skin removal surgery and can commence full activity after approximately 4 weeks.
Combining Arm Lift with Other Body Contouring Surgeries
Depending on your aesthetic goals, it may be possible to schedule another surgery at the same time as your arm surgery after weight loss. You should be prepared to discuss all possibilities during your consultation with Dr. Barr.
Risks and Complications
Arm skin removal after weight loss involves a minimal amount of risk. Although most patients do not experience any complications, these will be discussed during your consultation with Dr. Barr to ensure each patients awareness and comfort prior to choosing to pursue arm lift surgery.
Consulting a Qualified Surgeon
- Confirm that your prospective surgeon is a member of the Canadian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. This ensures that your surgeon has extensive experience and proper training required to perform cosmetic / aesthetic surgery.
- Confirm with your provincial college of physicians and surgeons that your prospective surgeon is licensed and whether disciplinary action has been taken against him/her.
- Confirm credentials and training. While many cosmetic surgeons advertise they are “board-certified ” requirements vary greatly depending on which professional board is cited. In Canada, only the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons certifies physicians and surgeons in medical specialties.
- Peruse your prospective surgeon’s website and review their Before/After gallery to see their work.
- Just as important as verifying credentials and reviewing their work, you must meet and feel comfortable with the surgeon you have selected. Be thorough when discussing your expectations with your prospective surgeon. Proper communication before surgery is key to achieving the best possible surgical outcome.
FAQs Arm Lift Surgery
What is the first step in pursuing the arm lift procedure?
The first step when considering loose skin surgery is to schedule your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Barr. The consultation process enables Dr. Barr to properly assess you and determine whether you are a suitable candidate for arm lift surgery. At this appointment Dr. Barr will carefully examine your arms and assess your general health. Different arm slimming procedures will be discussed and he will explain which surgical approach would be best suited to you based on your individual characteristics and aesthetic goals.
What does arm tightening surgery cost?
The cost of extra skin removal surgery on your arms will depend on whether or not you have other procedures done concurrently . An accurate quote detailing your arm excess skin removal cost will be provided to you during your consultation. Barr Plastic Surgery offers various payment financing options to make investing in your self-confidence and happiness a manageable endeavor.