The answer to how to lift and tighten your butt isn’t as simple as diet and exercise. Sagging buttocks can be attributed to numerous underlying causes, including weight loss, change in muscle mass and fitness level. and the natural aging process. The following article will explore how to lift your ‘booty’ with a surgical buttock lift.
Buttock Lift Surgery Overview
Many patients find that age, genetics, lack of exercise, and significant weight loss have an effect on the contours of their backside, causing it to appear less shapely. Many patients complain of a sagging or drooping buttocks. Patients who have recently lost a large amount of weight may also notice excess skin on their waist line that affects their buttock anatomy. A ” butt lift” can help to lift your bum along with improving the contours of both the waist and buttocks.
What is the difference between a Buttock Lift and a Brazilian Butt Lift ?
With various butt sculpting procedures available, it is important to understand the difference between them. Excess skin and fat in the gluteal region can be improved with a buttock lift. A butt sculpting buttock lift procedure involves removing excess skin that is hanging off the lower area and leaving the fat in the upper area to act as a graft to increase the projection of the buttocks. This is all done through an incision in the upper buttock area that is hidden behind the waist band of your underwear or bikini. With time, the incision fades to a skin coloured line that is less conspicuous. This provides a more shapely contour to the backside, and works to lift up buttocks that are sagging.
In contrast to this excisional and lifting procedure that lifts and smoothes the buttocks, the Brazilian Butt Lift adds volume to the buttocks using fat transfer. Fat that has been liposuctioned from other areas of your body, such as the abdomen, waist and thighs, is cleaned, purified and concentrated. This fat is then injected into the superficial fat layer of the buttocks to increase the projection, width and height of the buttock to create a more curvaceous, youthful shape.
In rare situations, these two procedures can be combined to improve butt contours, tighten your bum, improve firmness and enhance buttock shape and volume.
Who Can Benefit from Buttock Lift Surgery
Buttock lift patients often pursue surgery in order to correct a number of issues including:
- Eliminating sagging excess skin from buttocks
- Tightening and contour the buttocks
- Reshaping a disproportionate backside by leaving fat in the upper buttock to increase projection and volume.
Ideal Candidates for Buttock Lift Surgery
You may be a good candidate for a buttock lift procedure if you have one or more of the following conditions:
- Loose, sagging skin which lacks projection and volume.
- Have experienced dramatic weight loss but are now at a steady weight
- You desire a better buttock shape for your jeans, workout clothes or swim wear.
- Excess skin in the buttocks is causing discomfort or mobility issues
The Buttock Lift Procedure: What Happens During Surgery
There are several techniques that may be used to lift your bum during your surgical buttock lift. The best approach will be tailored to your body based on Dr. Barr’s assessment during your consultation. In general, an incision is made at, or slightly below the waistline. The skin above the incision from the waist is mobilized and the excess skin is removed to eliminate the extra skin folds above the waist. The skin below the incision is elevated, leaving the underlying fat in place to enhance the projection and appearance of the upper buttock. The skin is then elevated over the fat and the excess skin is excised to create a smooth surface. The combination of these steps helps to provide a smooth contour between the waist and the buttocks. Following your buttock lift surgery you will be instructed to wear a compression garment in order to minimize any swelling and promote skin tightening. Dr. Barr’s extensive experience in performing this procedure will help to ensure that your post-operative recovery is minimized.
Combining Buttock Lift Surgery With Other Procedures
Many patients who have recently lost a significant amount of weight combine their buttock lift procedure with other procedures such as abdominoplasty, mastopexy, brachioplasty and thighplasty. The combination of these procedures addresses all the skin laxity and contour issues that are common in patients that have been very successful in the weight reduction journey. Dr. Barr will spend time during your consultation discussing some of these options so you can be well informed about what is available to you.
Selecting Your Buttock Lift Surgeon
It is important that you take great care in selecting who will perform your buttock lift surgery. The following steps are advisable before choosing the best body sculpting surgeon for you.
- Confirm that your prospective surgeon is a member of the Canadian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. This ensures that your surgeon has extensive experience and proper training required to perform cosmetic / aesthetic surgery.
- Confirm with your provincial college of physicians and surgeons that your prospective surgeon is licensed and whether disciplinary action has been taken against him/her.
- Confirm credentials and training. While many cosmetic surgeons advertise they are “board-certified ” requirements vary greatly depending on which professional board is cited. In Canada, only the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons certifies physicians and surgeons in medical specialties.
- Just as important as verifying credentials and reviewing their work, you must meet and feel comfortable with the surgeon you have selected. Be thorough when discussing your expectations with your prospective surgeon. Proper communication before surgery is key to achieving the best possible surgical outcome.